Baked Eggplant With Tomato And CheeseFrom markeverett 5 years ago
- 2 ½ lbs. eggplant shopping list
- 2/3 c. olive oil shopping list
- 2/3 c. fresh grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- Optional: 1 c. mozzarella cheese shopping list
- For the sauce: shopping list
- 3 t. olive oil shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- 2 – 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes shopping list
- ½ t. sugar shopping list
- ½ t. dried oregano shopping list
- 2-3 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- salt & fresh ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Trim the eggplant and cut them lengthways into ½ inch-thick slices. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the slices briefly in batches. Lift out as soon as they are golden on both sides and drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in two or three layers in a baking dish. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Make the sauce. Heat the oil gently in a large pan over a medium heat until hot. Add the garlic and sauté for a few seconds, then add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and velvety, stiring frequently. Stir in the chopped parsley and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Spread the sauce over the eggplant to cover them. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The Cookmarkeverett Riverside, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!