My Homemade Rice-A-RoniFrom luisascatering 3 years ago
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 small shallot, minced shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup vermicelli (or spaghetti noodles) broken into 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1 cup fancy long grain rice shopping list
- seasoned sea salt, to taste (I use Penzey's brand) shopping list
- 1 pouch Trader Joe's savory broth chicken Flavor shopping list
- 2 cups water, or more as needed shopping list
- fresh chives & parsley, finely chopped shopping list
- soy sauce, a tiny splash or two shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in skillet. Add the broken up pasta and saute until noodles are brown. Do not allow to burn.
- Add the onion and garlic, saute for a minute or two. Add the rice and toss to coat. Season with seasoned sea salt. Add enough water to cover rice and be about 1/2 inch over the top. Add broth packet and stir See Photo. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then cover and simmer on low until rice is tender and all the liquid as evaporated (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, remove lid and cover rice with a clean dish cloth. Put the lid back on and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Remove lid, add herbs and soy (just a little) and fluff with a fork (you'll be amazed how much flavor boost the tiny amount of soy gives!)