Magic Chocolate Ice CreamFrom edensong 5 years ago
How to make it
- Combine coffee (or espresso) powder with hot water in small bowl. Let stand until coffee dissolves, about 5 minutes. Microwave chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, and coffee mixture in bowl, stirring every 10 seconds, until chocolate is melted, about 1 minute. Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Whisk one-third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream into chocolate mixture until incorporated. Freeze in airtight container until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. Serve. Makes 1 quart.
- In case you're wondering (because I certainly did), the coffee enhances the bittersweet chocolate without making it taste like coffee.
- It does get pretty hard in the freezer if you don't mix it during the freezing period. A way to prevent this is to stir it every half hour or so. Continue freezing at 30 to 45 minute intervals until ice cream is thick and becomes difficult to mix (about the consistency of soft serve ice cream). Another option that I've read about but haven't tried yet is to sprinkle 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (per quart) while mixing the ingredients, incorporating well.
- I've also made some variations on this recipe by adding a banana or avocado, which adds to its creaminess, but you don't really taste either fruit. An all fruit version works, too. I've used frozen berries in place of the chocolate, skipped the coffee powder and added a banana or avocado.
- For a different recipe, try just whipping heavy cream and adding half to equal amounts of half-and-half or milk. I tried that and it worked great. I added a bit of sugar, shredded coconut, vanilla extract and frozen strawberries. Yum!
People Who Like This Dish 19
- reviews Anycity, Anystate
- Kayde Wichita, Kansas
- sassy_sicilian Onna Village, Japan
- imhungry Northern, OH
- noodlegirl St. Thomas, Virgin Island
- oliviaswarden Olmsted Falls, OH
- SadiesMom Nowhere, Us
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- daddydoug Seattle, WA
- ariadnebarzane Phoenix, AZ
- Plus 9 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookedensong Nashville, TN
The Rating1 people
Will this work with an ice cream churner also? Don't think I could sit still long enough to be able to stir it every hour.
This is not ice cream. It is frozen mousse. Still wonderfully chocolaty and delicious. Made a pic but it came out blurry and I can't take another one because it's all gone. Makes about 3 cups instead of a quart.
Made it again using up some milk chocolate morsels. It does have a very creamy quality about it. See Magic Chocolate Ice Cream for fuller reviews.
- Not added to any groups yet!