Whole Grilled ChickenFrom keni 2 years ago
- 2 3-4lb whole chickens, cleaned shopping list
- 4 lemons shopping list
- 2 onions shopping list
- 1 stick butter, softened shopping list
- 2T smoked paprika shopping list
- 1T sweet or hot paprika shopping list
- 1-4t cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2T raw sugar(or sub brown) shopping list
- 1T dry mustard shopping list
- 2T grated fresh onion or sub dried, minced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- kosher or sea salt shopping list
- Plenty of fresh ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In small bowl, combine butter, paprikas, peppers, salt, sugar, mustard, onion and garlic. Mix to make a paste.
- Pat chickens dry and rub each with half of the butter mixture.
- Drizzle each with the juice from 1 lemon.
- Let rest 1 hour out of fridge, or up to over night in fridge before grilling.
- Heat grill and prepare it for indirect grilling.
- Put 1 onion(peeled and halved) and 1 lemon, cut in half, into the cavity of each chicken.
- Place chickens, breast sides up, onto a cooler spot of the grill and grill, turning once.
- Make sure to keep tending the coals to maintain a fairly constant temp.
- Grill for about an hour and half, or until a thermometer reads about 155-160.
- Let chicken rest about 10 minutes which should increase temp to a safe 165.