Summer Veggie Mac and CheeseFrom luisascatering 3 years ago
- 1 lb pasta (any tube/elbow shape) shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, minced shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour shopping list
- 3 cups organic whole milk shopping list
- 8 oz extra sharp cheddar shopping list
- 8 oz monterey jack shopping list
- 8 oz mozzarella shopping list
- 4 oz queso fresco shopping list
- 2 oz parmigiano-reggiano shopping list
- ~ shopping list
- 2 zucchini, cut in half shopping list
- 2 ears fresh yellow corn shopping list
- 3 large tomatoes, seeds removed and diced shopping list
- fresh basil and oregano, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Drizzle the corn and zucchini with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill or broil until charred (but don't overcook) See Photo. When cool enough to handle, dice the zucchini and slice the corn kernels off the cob into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes and the basil and oregano Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. See Photo
- Shred all the cheeses. Bring water for pasta (salted) to a boil.
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add the butter and diced onion. Cook until lightly browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the flour and mix well, stirring and moving around in the pan constantly. This will be a very thick mixture, keep it moving in the pan so it doesn't burn. Cook about 3 minutes until it starts to smell a little nutty. Whisk in the milk. You will notice it thicken just as it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes, then mix in the cheese in 3 batches, letting it melt each time See Photo. Return the sauce to a very low heat if the cheese needs a little help to completely melt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Cook the pasta al dente, drain and add to large bowl of veggies See Photo. Pour in the cheese sauce and gently toss until incorporated. Pour into buttered baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until it bubbles. Broil to brown up the top before serving, if desired.