Homemade Pumpkin PuddingFrom christinem 2 years ago
- 3 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed (dark or light) shopping list
- 2 cups milk (whole, 2%, or 1%), divided shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 2 Tbsp corn starch shopping list
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree shopping list
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- In medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, egg, egg yolk and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk, pumpkin and spices. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and cook until sugar begins to melt, stirring or whisking frequently, about 4 minutes. Whisking vigorously, slowly add about 1/2 cup of the milk mixture until combined, then gradually stir in another 1/2 cup. Add the rest of the mixture and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. (once fully blended, you can raise heat slightly to medium/medium-high). Bring to a heavy simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- If desired, strain pudding before pouring into dessert glasses.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 to 3 hours,
- Serve with whipped cream.
- Light or dark sugar may be used according to preference - dark sugar will result in a slightly darker pudding and a subtle stronger butterscotch flavor, while the light brown sugar is lighter in color as well as flavor.