Colcannon With KaleFrom christinem 1 year ago
- 3 lbs. red bliss potatoes, scrubbed shopping list
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided shopping list
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion shopping list
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and green parts) shopping list
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup milk or cream shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place potatoes in large pot of water; add salt, if desired; bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender - about 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, in sauté pan, melt 2 Tbsp butter; add diced onion and cook on medium heat until tender - about 5 minutes. Add chopped kale, stirring to coat with butter and onions, and cook an additional 10 minutes or until wilted and tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot; add 4 Tbsp butter and chopped scallion; cover until butter is melted. Mash potatoes, adding the milk or cream until your preferred consistency is achieved. Stir in kale/onion mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Note: You can, of course, add crumbled cooked bacon! I also thought about adding some chopped/fried chourico or linguica...the kale made me think of Portuguese soup, so maybe next time! ;)