Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes - For CanningFrom shandy 6 years ago
- 5 quarts (20 cups) tomatoes, peeled, cored (the stem at the top) and quartered shopping list
- 4 c. chopped onions shopping list
- 4 c. chopped bell peppers (I use green and red) shopping list
- 1/4 c. minced garlic shopping list
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh oregano shopping list
- 2 T. olive oil shopping list
- 1 T. sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1 t. salt per quart jar shopping list
How to make it
- *Blanch, peel, core and quarter tomatoes. To blanch a tomato, you drop tomato into boiling water for 15 seconds then drop tomato into ice water or just peel. The skin will peel off easily. Remember, core is just taking the stem part out of the top of the tomato and the bottom part. I am only saying this because I have made some strange errors because I was afraid to ask.
- *Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or stainless steel pan.
- *Add garlic and oregano, cook till garlic is tender and oregano is fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- *Add chopped onion and peppers and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- *Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until desired consistency (you will need to cook longer if tomatoes are watery).
- *Place in hot sterilized quart jars, add 1 teaspoon of salt to the top of each quart jar, leave 1/2-inch space at the top, place lids on and place in hot water bath, bring water back to boil and start timing for 40 minutes, remove and let cool. For jars that do not seal, remove lids and clean top of jar, replace with new lid and re-bath jars.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating5 people
This was one of the best recipes i've found on this site. i had plenty of tomatoes and followed your recipe exactly and i had company (unexpected) so i even had help. thankyou Even my company learned how to can and we had the sauce and rigetoni tha...moretinadunlap in Greenwood loved it
Whenever my mom & I get 2gether and fruits are a plenty we preserve. Sadly fruits are too expensive right now in SA and now it is a luxury. But I do enjoy reading your recipestinadc in Cape Town loved it
Thanks for the great recipe Shandy...well done with the step by step pics as well, great effort!hooch in New Zealand loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!