CHICKEN BIRIYANItypical south indian foodFrom kaberi 9 years ago
- 1 lbChicken cut into medium pieces. shopping list
- 2 medium sized onion (chopped) shopping list
- 3 nosTomato (finely chopped) shopping list
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste shopping list
- 1/2cup orrainder/cilantro leaves (chopped) shopping list
- 4 stks mint leaves (chopped) shopping list
- 3 nos Green chilli (slit open) shopping list
- 2 cup basmati rice shopping list
- 3 tbsp oil shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
- ½ cupYogurt shopping list
- 3 cup water shopping list
- 2 nosBay leaf, shopping list
- 2 nosCinnamon, shopping list
- 5 nos cloves, shopping list
- 3 nosCardamon, shopping list
- 1no. star anise shopping list
- 4nos.peppercorn. shopping list
- 2½ tsp salt (or to taste) shopping list
- 2 tspRed chilli powder shopping list
- 3 tspCorrainder powder, shopping list
- 1/2tsp cumin powder, shopping list
- 1/4tsp black pepper powder, shopping list
- a pinch nutmeg powder. shopping list
- ¼ tspTurmeric powder shopping list
- 1 pinch Orange food color (optional) shopping list
- 6 stks Corrainder leaves (chopped for garnishing) shopping list
- 2 tspGhee (to finish the dish). shopping list
- ingredients II shopping list
- ¼ tspSalt, shopping list
- 3 tspLemon juice, shopping list
- 1 pinch turmeric powder, shopping list
- ½ tsp coriander powder, shopping list
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder, shopping list
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste. shopping list
How to make it
- wash and cut chicken into medium pieces(chicken breasts or thighs would be good).
- marinate the chichen pieces with the ingredients II for atleast one to one and half hour.
- in a deep pan,heat butter and oil together and fry bay leaf,cinnamon, cloves, cardamon for half min.now add chopped green chillies,chopped cilantro/coriander leaves,mint leaves.
- slowly add chopped onions,tomatos,ginger-garlic paste.
- when onions become slightly brown then add marinated chicken.
- now stir nicely for 2mins.
- now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder,nutmeg powder,black pepper powder and salt. Saute everything until it thicken to a gravy consistency.and chicken is half cooked.
- While the gravy is still simmering, rinse 2 cups of Basmati rice and drain all water from it.
- Now take a pressure cooker add the gravy to the rice along with 3 cups of water and diluted 1 cup of yogurt and food color and mix well.
- Check for salt and cook them for 15-20mins in pressure cooker.
- before serve,sprinkly chopped coriander leaves(optional).
- Serve hot with boiled eggs and raita.(yohurt beaten well with salt.)
- you can use normal saucepan or slow cooker instead of pressure cooker.but then cooking time will vary.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cookkaberi Stlouis, MO
The Rating6 people
Will have to make this,thanks for a treat..Bobrobertg in loved it
hai,ur chicken biriyani sounds good.i love south indian foods.must try.angieaugusta in Adelaide loved it
it looks delicious!
thanks for posting!moroccanlady in Montreal loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!