Sauerkraut With Bacon And ApplesFrom pudgy47 9 years ago
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked bacon shopping list
- 2 tart apples, Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and grated shopping list
- 1 yellow onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 1 tps. caraway seeds, ground shopping list
- 3 cups apple cider or apple juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1 24-fluid-ounce jar sauerkraut drained, (refrigerated, not the can) shopping list
How to make it
- Put bacon in a large, high-sided oven-proof saute pan with a lid and place over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until most of the fathas been rendered out, turning as beeded. Drain excess fat from pan (leave in about a Tbs.) Remove bacon from the pan and let cool on a plate lined with a paper towel. Roughly chop the bacon and set aside.
- Add the apples, onion,garlic, and caraway and decrease the heat to low. Cover partially and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Remove the lid, stir in the apple cider and vinegar, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to a thick, syrupy consistency.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the kraut and bacon, cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until kraut is heated through and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- SOURCE......... THE NIMAN RANCH COOKBOOK
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookpudgy47 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating4 people
I've often made a dish very much like this! :) Sometimes I add sauteed smoked sausage bits to it.julesong in Seattle loved it
Ive had this before.... its great.....Ive also had it with pork ribs instead of bacon..zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
wow this sounds perfect for the fall weather and a perfect side dish to add to dinners...thankspaprikamama in Lake Mary loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!