Lamb BiryaniFrom berry 9 years ago
- 2/3 cup milk shopping list
- 1 tsp saffron shopping list
- 5 tbsp ghee shopping list
- 3 medium onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 pound lean lamb, cubed shopping list
- 7 tbsp unsweetened yogurt shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger root shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed garlic shopping list
- 2 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp turmeric shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups basmati rice shopping list
- 2 tsp black cumin seeds shopping list
- 3 cardamoms shopping list
- 4 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 2 fresh green chilie shopping list
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Boil the milk in a pan with the saffron and set aside. Heat the ghee in a pan and sauté the onions until golden. Remove half the onions and ghee for the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Combine the meat, yogurt, ginger, garlic, garam masala, 1 tsp salt, and the turmeric in a largebowl and mix well.
- Return the pan with the ghee and onions to the heat, add the meat mixture, stir for about 3 minutes, and add the water. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check to see wether the meat is tender: if not add 2/3 cup water and cook for 15 minutes. Once all the water has evaporated, stir fry for about 2 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a pan. Add the cummin seeds, cardamons, salt, and enough water for cooking, and cook over a medium heat til the rice is half cooked. Drain. Remove half the rice and place in a bowl.
- Spoon the meat mixture on top of the rice in the pan. Add half each of the saffron mixture, lemon juice, chilies and cilantro.
- Add reserved onions and ghee, and the other half of the rice, saffron, lemon juice, chilies and cilantro. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 - 20 minutes, or til rice is cooked. Stir well and serve.
The Cookberry Winter Park, FL
The Rating8 people
Great!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Looks absolutely delicious!!! Lovely recipe and many thanks.lor in Toronto loved it
i make my lamb biryani in the same way i only add more red chillies and spices as my family love strong food
have a blessed day
MUMTAZmumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it