Sos BreakfastFrom krumkake 7 years ago
- SOS: shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- ½ onion, diced shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 2 cups half-and-half (you may need a bit more - you can use whole milk, but half-and-half gives a richer gravy) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (this is much better than bouillon and can be found were you normally buy bouillon – it’s pricey, but well worth the cost) shopping list
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (do not use garlic salt, as dried beef is very salty already) shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 4 ounces dried beef, diced shopping list
- Base: shopping list
- 8 poached eggs (you can fry the eggs, if you prefer) shopping list
- 4 English muffins, split in half, toasted and buttered shopping list
- NOTE: you can kick this up with whatever "hot" seasoinings you like, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and butter.
- Bring the contents to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until it begins to brown just slightly (you do not want to over-brown it or the gravy will not taste good – you just want to see a slight change in the color of the mixture).
- Using a wire whisk, stir in the half-and-half and seasonings, stirring constantly as the mixture simmers very gently and thickens (you do not want to boil the gravy, just keep it at a very slow simmer).
- Add more half-and-half, if needed, to thin gravy.
- Add the diced meat and stir to blend it into the gravy.
- Taste the gravy and add more seasonings to suit your tastes.
- Poach or fry the eggs and toast the muffins as the sauce is thickening.
- To serve, place 2 English muffin halves on each serving plate.
- Top each muffin half with a poached or fried egg, and smother it in the dried beef gravy.
- Serve immediately.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating5 people
Hey Krum... made this for dear ole hubby... he said to tell you "oink-oink" he grunted when he ate it!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
What a feed! I've saved this recipe to try it on the weekend. Thanks for sharing this recipe.trev in Bogangar loved it