Sos BreakfastFrom krumkake 7 years ago
- SOS: shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- ½ onion, diced shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 2 cups half-and-half (you may need a bit more - you can use whole milk, but half-and-half gives a richer gravy) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (this is much better than bouillon and can be found were you normally buy bouillon – it’s pricey, but well worth the cost) shopping list
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (do not use garlic salt, as dried beef is very salty already) shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 4 ounces dried beef, diced shopping list
- Base: shopping list
- 8 poached eggs (you can fry the eggs, if you prefer) shopping list
- 4 English muffins, split in half, toasted and buttered shopping list
- NOTE: you can kick this up with whatever "hot" seasoinings you like, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and butter.
- Bring the contents to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until it begins to brown just slightly (you do not want to over-brown it or the gravy will not taste good – you just want to see a slight change in the color of the mixture).
- Using a wire whisk, stir in the half-and-half and seasonings, stirring constantly as the mixture simmers very gently and thickens (you do not want to boil the gravy, just keep it at a very slow simmer).
- Add more half-and-half, if needed, to thin gravy.
- Add the diced meat and stir to blend it into the gravy.
- Taste the gravy and add more seasonings to suit your tastes.
- Poach or fry the eggs and toast the muffins as the sauce is thickening.
- To serve, place 2 English muffin halves on each serving plate.
- Top each muffin half with a poached or fried egg, and smother it in the dried beef gravy.
- Serve immediately.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating5 people
What a feed! I've saved this recipe to try it on the weekend. Thanks for sharing this recipe.trev in Bogangar loved it
Hey Krum... made this for dear ole hubby... he said to tell you "oink-oink" he grunted when he ate it!linebb956 in La Feria loved it