Massaman CurryFrom darbar 10 years ago
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 pound boiling potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts shopping list
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes (about 4), cut into wedges shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth and then the coconut milk; bring to a simmer. Stir in the potatoes, cover, and cook over low heat until they are almost tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanuts, tomatoes, cilantro, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Turn the heat off, cover, and let steam until the chicken is just done, about 2 minutes longer.
- Menu Suggestion
- For this curry, steamed white rice is the only accompaniment you need.
- I found this recipe on FoodandWine.com
The Cookdarbar Brevard, NC
The Rating16 people
I made this, and it was very good. My pantry let me down, however, so I made the following changes to great effect:
Used ground ginger instead of fresh (my fresh was, shall we say, old)
Used water and boullion granules instead of stoc...morewizzrea in Lawrence loved it
oh I forgot to add that I added a dribble of sriracha hot chili sauce for a little extra heat. Yum!wizzrea in Lawrence loved it
Thanks Wiz! sounds great! I may try it your way.darbar in Brevard loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!