Upside-Down Baked Apple French ToastFrom shandy 8 years ago
- Recipe is as follows: shopping list
- Ingredients- shopping list
- 4 tart apples, such as McIntosh or Granny Smith shopping list
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 3 large, ripe bananas shopping list
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3 T. unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 c. (firmly packed) light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 T. maple syrup shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 c. milk shopping list
- 1 t. vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 to 5 slices of challah bread (1-inch thick) *I used sourdough bread shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel, core and cut each apple into about 1/4 inch wedges. Place the apple wedges in a large mixing bowl and toss gently with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Peel the bananas and slice them crosswise into 3/4-inch thick slices. Add bananas to the apples and toss to coat evenly with lemon juice. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the fruits and toss well to combine.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and saute until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and cook until the sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Pour the contents into a lightly buttered, non-reactive, 9-inch round baking dish. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in the milk and vanilla. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture just to moisten (both sides), then place them over the fruit in a single layer in the pan, making sure to cover the fruit entirely. Pour any leftover egg mexture over the bread. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. **(This can be prepared up to this point in advance, covered and refrigerated overnight.)**
- Bake the French Toast, uncovered until the top is golden, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Place a serving tray over the pan and CAREFULLY turn them over to unmold the French Toast. Spoon any syrup or fruit left in the pan over the bread and serve at once. =D