Grits And GravyFrom saltymike 8 years ago
- 1 cup course ground yellow harina (I like No. 16 grind) shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ¼-½ tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 lbs beef cubed steak shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 Tbsp butter (lightly salted is OK) shopping list
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place water, harina, 1tsp salt and ¼ - ½ tsp ground black pepper in a large, heavy sauce pan and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until grits are thickened, stir frequently.
- Place 1 cup of vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet and bring to temperature over medium heat. (Test for sizzle before beginning cooking.)
- Mix 1 cup flour, lots of salt and LOTS of ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Cut cube steak into pieces approx. 4 inches square. Roll steak pieces in seasoned flour.
- Pan fry floured steak pieces until done through. Place each piece on paper towels to drain.
- When all pieces of steak have been cooked, add 2 Tbsp butter to skillet. Whisk with fork to loosen all cracklin’ pieces in the pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp flour to the hot butter, oil and cracklin’ mixture. Stir to make a medium brown roué.
- Gradually add milk to pan and whisk constantly to make a thick gravy. If too thick, add small amounts of water or milk to obtain desired consistency. Re-season as necessary.
- Add steak back into pan with gravy so that each piece of steak if thoroughly coated with gravy.
- Serve steak and gravy over grits. You will need biscuits for sopping the gravy.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating9 people
Can't beat grits!!!!!!!gingerlea in Tampa loved it
You got that recipe down pat, great post, love grits and gravy with steak and eggs for breakfast. Now for the biscuits LOL Go check out my whip cream biscuits, the added compliment to this good meal. ;)henrie in Savannah loved it
I have to say.... YUMMMMMMMY! I love this.linebb956 in La Feria loved it