Cheap and Easy Lentil-barley SoupFrom mrspotatohead 9 years ago
- 8 c. water shopping list
- 3 small to medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup diced) shopping list
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained shopping list
- 5 chicken, beef or vegetable bouillon cubes shopping list
- ½ tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp onion powder or 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- ½ tsp celery salt or 1 stalk celery, diced shopping list
- ¾ cup dried lentils shopping list
- ¾ cup barley (not quick-cooking) shopping list
- ½ tsp dried rosemary shopping list
- ½ tsp ground oregano shopping list
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1 14 oz. can seasoned Southern kale greens, undrained shopping list
How to make it
- Put everything except kale greens in a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes.
- Add kale greens.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer to heat through.
The Cookmrspotatohead Minneapolis, MN
The Rating15 people
Can I add a smoked hock? thanks for a hardy post.....robertg in loved it
Love barley, love lentils! Great, great recipe. Thanks.rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Great winter soup..for now and then in a couple months is going to be great spring soup then after that it's...well you get the idea. Where do you buy your barley at? How is it sold?craners in Coarsegold loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!