OCTAPOTHI- Greek Grilled OctopusFrom greekgirrrl 8 years ago
- 1 whole raw octopus- medium sized shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic (Finely chopped) shopping list
- 4 Whole lemons (Squeezed) shopping list
- 1 Whole Octopus shopping list
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon oregano shopping list
- 1-2 Pinch pepper (To taste) shopping list
- 2-3 Pinch salt (To taste) shopping list
- 1 Cup red wine vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Beat the octopus with a meat hammer or against the concrete (as they do in Greece) to soften it up.
- This may take 15 minutes or more.
- Cut and clean the octopus into pieces about twice the size of a serving because the meat will shrink when cooked.
- Combine the vinegar, a 1/4 cup of olive oil, the garlic, some oregano, salt and pepper.
- Place marinade in large ziploc bag and add octopus.
- Marinate overnight for best results but 3 hrs in the fridge will do.
- To cook, warm the BBQ to low-medium heat and lay the meat on the grill.
- Baste with a mixture of the remaining olive oil, the juice from the lemons, and the oregano, being careful not to cause a flame to erupt in the BBQ.
- When the octopus is done (about 15 minutes), plate, and pour the remaining marinade over the removed octopus and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating10 people
Love the octopus... No ouzo... thanks for the postwolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
I love octopus and this is an awesome recipe. But do you pour the remaining marinade over the grilled octopus as it is or do you cook it first?danadooley in Singapore loved it
oo now you have me craving octopus. This recipe attracted my attention just like that. I have to try this one day. Thankss for sharing!ragnarokx23 in San Jose loved it