Jiggs Dinner from NewfoundlandFrom lor 9 years ago
- 3 lbs. corned beef or salt spareribs shopping list
- 1 cup yellow split peas shopping list
- 8 medium sized spuds shopping list
- 6 carrots shopping list
- 1 medium sized turnip, peeled and cut in chunks shopping list
- 1 medium sized cabbage , cut in wedges shopping list
- 3 Tbsps. butter shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- You will require a very large saucepan or Dutch oven for this recipe.
- Soak meat in cold water overnight or 6-8 hours.
- Drain meat, rinse and place it in a large pot.
- Tie peas in cheese cloth, leaving room for expansion, and put bag in pot with beef.
- Cover beef and peas with water.
- Heat to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 2 - 3 hours.
- Prepare vegetables.
- Smaller carrots and potatoes may be left whole, larger ones cut in half.
- Slice turnip and cut cabbage in wedges.
- After meat and peas have cooked, add vegetables and cook until tender, adding cabbage last.
- Remove peas from bag, place in bowl and mash with butter and pepper to form peas pudding.
- Remove meat and cut into serving-sized pieces.
- Arrange meat and vegetables on a large platter.
- Serve the peas pudding in a separate bowl.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating6 people
I got hungary just reading this recipe. It sounds great. We eat a lot of corned beef and cabbage, but I've never tried prepping it in this manner. Thanks for posting This!saltymike in Naples loved it
Like Saltymike, we eat a lot of corned beef(I corn my own) never thought to prep as you posted.Great idea,printing this to use on the next beef, thanks for sharing....Bobrobertg in loved it
I dont eat much of Corned beef, but i love it.. Ill try this soon, looks yummy! Thanksuk2nyc in Milano, Italy loved it