Spanish Stew Or Caldo GallegoFrom chacha 9 years ago
- 1 lb. medium-sized white beans shopping list
- 2-1/2 quarts water shopping list
- 1/2 lb. salt pork, cubed shopping list
- 1 meaty ham bone plus 1 smoked pork hock shopping list
- *I sometimes substitute the ham and pork hock with beef short ribs. shopping list
- 6 small white potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 bunch collard greens, mustard greens or spinach shopping list
- 4 Spanish sausages (chorizos) shopping list
- salt to taste but it should be salty enough. shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse beans.
- Cover with 6 cups water in a large kettle, soak overnight.
- When ready to cook, add additional 1 quart water, the salt pork and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add potatoes and collard greens.
- *If you are using spinach. add later with the chorizos.
- Simmer for approximately 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cut chorizos in 1 inch pieces.
- Add to beans and cook 10 min. longer.
- Taste and add salt if necessary but it shouldl be salty enough.
- Remove ham bone and pork hock.
- Cut off meat and return meat to stew.
- Serve in soup bowls with a garnish of fresh parsley / cilantro or chives, chopped.
- The longer this stew sits the more flavorful it becomes.
The Cookchacha New York, NY
The Rating9 people
I'm right there with Notyourmomma. This too is a favorite of mine. I can smell it now.laadeedaa in loved it
Sounds "Cajun"-kinda-sorta. Yum. Thanks Chacha.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
This is a really good recipe. I loved the rich flavors and the smokiness from the meat. It so hearty and comforting. Will be making this again - great post. Thanks, Chacha!!lunasea in Orlando loved it