Sky High Lemon Meringue PieFrom silverqueen 8 years ago
- FOR THE CRUST: shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cubed shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable shortening shopping list
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. ice water shopping list
- TANGY lemon FILLING: shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 4 egg yolks (reserve whites) shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cups fresh lemon juice, strained shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. limoncello or 1 tsp. pure lemon extract shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, minced shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. salt shopping list
- brown sugar MERINGUE: shopping list
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- Reserves egg whites shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt together for the crust in a bowl.
- Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until butter is pea size.
- Add ice water, stirring with a fork until dough comes together but is neither dry nor sticky.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, flatten into a disk and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Preheat the oven to 400*F. with rack in the lower third of the oven, coat a 9" pie plate with cooking spray.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick.
- Carefully fold into quarters and transfer to prepared pie plate.
- Trim all but 1" of dough from edge then turn edge under and crimp.
- Freeze pie shell until firm, line with foil and fill with beans or rice.
- Place plate on baking sheet and bake until crust is set, about 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights then return crust to oven and bake until golden, about 10 minutes longer.
- Reduce the oven to 300*F.
- TANGY LEMON FILLING:
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a blow until smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, then pouring filling into pie crust.
- Carefully transfer pie to the oven and bake just until filling is set in center, 30 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool then cover with plastic wrap and chill 6 hours or overnight.
- BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE:
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Stir both sugars and water together in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugars melt, swirling pan often, do not stir (this may cause the sugar to crystallize.)
- Increase heat to medium high and boil, swirling frequently until it reaches 250*.
- Remove syrup.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at medium speed in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment while sugar syrup boils.
- When whites reach soft peaks (they hold their shape and droop at the tip), begin drizzling in hot sugar syrup.
- Once syrup is blended turn mixer to high speed and beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue on pie spreading to the crust, then use a spatula to create decorative peaks and valleys in the meringue.
- Bake until meringue is golden brown, 12 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE OR FILLING WILL BECOME SOFT.
The Cooksilverqueen Albany, GA
The Rating8 people
Absolutely love Lemon Meringue Pie, this sounds soooo fabulous, bookmarking it to fix after Easter. You got my 5 - thanks so much for posting this one, Happy Easter.henrie in Savannah loved it
Sounds delicious! I love anything with lemon and you can't beat a good lemon meringue pie!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Great recipe and lemon meringue is one of my favorite pies ever. Thanks so much - you get a big 5 from me!
Happy Easter weekend to you and your family...lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!