Middle Eastern Lentils and RiceFrom jena 5 years ago
- 2 tbls olive oil shopping list
- 2 large onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 3/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 c dried lentils shopping list
- 1/2 c brown or white rice shopping list
- 4 1/2 c water shopping list
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced vertically shopping list
- 3 c plain nonfat yogurt shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1 tbls of the olive oil in a large stockpot.
- Add half of the onions, the garlic, salt allspice, and cinnamon, and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the lentils and rice and continue to cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add te water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 1 hour for brown rice or 20-30 minutes for white rice.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tbls of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the remaining onions, stirring frequently, until the onions are very brown, but not scorched.
- To serve, spoon lentil and rice mixture onto a serving platter and cover with browned onions.
- Serve with yogurt
- 449 calories.
The Cookjena MN
The Rating5 people
This recipe calls for Brown lentils right? if so then this is really great! :)cgendy in Manalapan loved it
Here's 5 for you. See my Majaderaronnymarcus in Jerusalem loved it
LOve lentils. Thank you.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!