Mujaddara Lentils And RiceFrom jimrug1 7 years ago
- 1 Cup Brown or green lentils shopping list
- 1 Cup long grain rice (Washed and Soaked 10 - 12 Minutes, drained) shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1 Medium sweet onion chopped fine.** shopping list
- 1 Medium sweet onion slevered into thin crescents shopping list
- 1/4 Cup plus 1 Tbls good olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 Tsp. salt and pepper to Taste. shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and pick through Lentils (They can be quite gritty)
- Wash rice and place in a bowl with enough water to cover by 1/2 inch. Soak 15 - 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat 1/4 cup of Oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add chopped onion. Cook Onion until it turns brown on the edges. Remove Onion and mix with Rice. Reserve Oil.
- Place Lentils in a Medium Sauce Pan. Cover with 3 1/2 cups water. Season water with salt & pepper..
- Bring to a boil, Cover, lower heat and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until el dente' .
- Stir Rice, chopped Onion (or garlic) into the simmering Lentils. Partially cover pan and continue to simmer very slowly adding water as necessary to keep Lentils and Rice barely covered until both are just cooked through. (Approx. 10 - 15 minutes) Add a little water if mixture seems too dry.
- Heat reserved Oil plus 1 Tbls over medium high and cook slivered onions until dark brown and almost crisp. Remove Onion to a paper towel and drain. Reserve Oil.
- Pour the Onion infused Oil into the Lentil/Rice mixture reserving a little for garnish, and gently stir in. Adjust Salt & Pepper.
- To Serve: Pile Lentils and Rice on a platter or in a bowl. Top with crisp brown Onion and a drizzle of any Oil left in the skillet. Surround with Pickled Turnips and/or Fresh cut Veggies such as Cucumber, Green Peppers, Zucchini, Carrots and Radishes
- ** As a variation 6 - 8 Large cloves of chopped garlic can be substituted for the onion.
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating10 people
I have everything to make this wonderful course, except the pickled turnips. Hmmm, not sure where I could get those... so I may have to try it without. As usual, you rock, Jim m'dear....a high 5 for you! Thanks for posting this.lunasea in Orlando loved it
Jim this Lebanese style Lentils And Rice Recipe is going to be a hit at my dinner table.
I even have the pickled turnips so this is a go for tonight. High Five from me
trigger in loved it
I made this tonight.. it was so good! I did cheat a bit though by using canned lentils and instant brown rice. LOL... i know... bad, hey? But it turned out well! I added in a bit of cumin seed to the sauteed/caramelized onions too just for a bit of a...moregrumblebee in Calgary loved it