Cuban Midnight SandwichFrom ebonyeyedenigma 6 years ago
- 1 loaf Cuban bread (or soft crusted french baguette) shopping list
- 1 lb roasted pork shoulder, sliced thin (I've used pork loin before and that worked pretty well) shopping list
- 1/2 lb black forest ham, sliced thin shopping list
- 1/2 lb swiss cheese, sliced shopping list
- 6 sour crisp dill pickles, sliced thinly long-ways shopping list
- 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the bread into 4 even loaves (about 8-10" each). Slice each loaf all the way open. Spread mustard on the inside of the tops and bottoms of the bread.
- Place an even layer of pork on the bottom halves. Then an even layer of ham. Then an even layer of swiss cheese. Then a layer of pickles. Cover with the top halves of bread.
- Now that the sandwiches are made heat up a cast iron pan over medium high heat. Butter both sides of the sandwiches. Place the sandwiches in the pan and using the flat bottom of another pan press down on the tops of the sandwiches to flatten.
- Once the bottoms have browned a little, flip them over and once again press to flatten. Once the sandwich is lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted (about 3 to 4 minutes each side) remove from the heat and slice diagonally.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cookebonyeyedenigma Seattle, WA
The Rating8 people
I love Cuban Sandwiches, Monte Cristos -- anything up that alley! I make these with shredded pork meat and thicker-sliced ham; I will try it this way next time, but, no matter how you 'slice' it, it's all good! TY for the post (and pics...)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
I love Cuban food and this is a classic. Annie - I love the recipe and the picture - thank so much!!lunasea in Orlando loved it
Oh Annie, you hit a good nerve. One of my favorite foods of all time.. Memories of Key West, I could go on and on..
Markymarky90 in Dearborn loved it