Bulgur And Lentil Stuffed Tomatoes With Yogurt Garlic SauceFrom lunasea 8 years ago
- Stuffed Tomatoes: shopping list
- 6 large tomatoes (3 lb) shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons lentils (preferably French green lentils) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup bulgur (preferably coarse) shopping list
- 1 lb swiss chard or spinach, stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced (4 cups) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried currants shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- ~~~~ shopping list
- Accompaniment: yogurt garlic Sauce (makes 1 cup) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1 cup plain yogurt (preferably whole-milk) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Make Stuffed Tomatoes:
- Cut off and discard top third of tomatoes and scoop out insides (leave shells intact for stuffing), transferring to a sieve set over a bowl to drain excess liquid. Coarsely chop tomato from sieve and reserve for making braised eggplant.
- Sprinkle insides of tomato shells with 1/2 teaspoon salt and drain upside down on a rack set in a pan while preparing filling.
- Simmer lentils in 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan until just tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve, then rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot, then cook pine nuts, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Cook onion in oil remaining in pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add bulgur, chard, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until greens are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add remaining cup water, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, until bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in pine nuts, currants, parsley, dill, lemon juice, lentils, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon filling into tomato shells. Serve with the delightful Yogurt Garlic Sauce. Wow!
- Make Yogurt Garlic Sauce:
- Mash garlic to a paste with salt using a mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a heavy knife). Stir together garlic paste, yogurt, and lemon juice.
- **Sauce may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
The Cooklunasea Orlando, FL
The Rating13 people
you got my 5 but tell me where to get pinebuts??
Now that's funny I will have this tomorrow for sure..lovely!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Sounds fantastic! I also like the ingredients that are in this.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Sound really good. I was searching for some tomato stuff. Going to try this somewhen.chriesi in Zuerich loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!