Achiote Marinated Chicken Cooked In Banana LeavesFrom jimrug1 7 years ago
- ACHIOTE marinade shopping list
- 10 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- ½ Tsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 ½ Tbls Annatto Seeds shopping list
- 1Tsp whole allspice berries shopping list
- 1 Tsp dried oregano (Preferably Mexican) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- ½ Tsp cinnamon, ground shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 2 habanero Chiles, seeds removed shopping list
- 2 Tbls Fresh lime juice shopping list
- 2 Tsps white vinegar shopping list
- chicken shopping list
- One 2 ½ lb chicken cut into serving size pieces. or 4 chicken breasts shopping list
- 3 fresh Guero, Hungarian Wax or banana Chiles, seeds removed, cut into strips shopping list
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings shopping list
- 4 sprigs fresh Epazote or 1Tbls dried. (Omit if not available) shopping list
- 4 Tbls unsalted butter. shopping list
- banana leaves, Foil or parchment paper. shopping list
- Cebollas Encuridas (Pickled red onion) Posted Separately shopping list
How to make it
- Place all dry ingredients in a dry skillet over medium low heat. Toast shaking frequently until fragrant. Transfer to a spice grinder and process into a powder.
- In a blender, puree' spice powder with Garlic, Habenero Chiles, Vinegar and Lime Juice. If mixture is too thick, add a little more Vinegar and Lime Juice in equal amounts.
- Place Chicken in a sealable plastic bag, pour in marinade, seal and refrigerate for 12 – 24 hours.
- COOKING METHOD
- Make 4 Packets: Cut Banana Leaves into usable rectangles large enough to hold 1 serving of Chicken with its ingredients. Use at least 2 layers of leaves per pack if not more.
- Place a Chicken serving along with the marinade in each packet. Top with the Chiles strips, Onions, 1 Tbls Butter, and a little Epazote (if using).
- Fold Banana leaves over meat to cover completely (as if you were wrapping a present) Tie securely with Butcher’s Twine. If you are using foil or parchment, make the type of packets you are used to.
- Cook in a covered grill over indirect heat for about 1 hour. Remove to a plate and let rest 10 minutes. Let each person (at least the adults) unwrap and eat out of their own package. Serve with warm Tortillas, Pickled Onions, and Black Beans.
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating10 people
This sounds magnificent. I have to try this. Love everything about this recipe. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
How exotic!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Very interesting recipe! Thanks for sharingjett2whit in Union City loved it