Nanaimo Cheesecake BarsFrom earthwatersunwind 6 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 oz (1/3 cup) cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-Process shopping list
- 7 oz graham crackers (2 cups crumbs, 1 pakg plus 4 sheets) shopping list
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut shopping list
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) walnuts, toasted shopping list
- pinch kosher salt shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temp. shopping list
- 3/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tbsp heavy cream shopping list
- 1 egg plus one yolk shopping list
- 2 tsp flavoring--vanilla, rum, or liqueur of choice shopping list
- 2 tsp flour shopping list
- Ganache: shopping list
- 3 oz best-quality dark chocolate shopping list
- 3 oz heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Make Crust: Heat oven to 350.
- Line a 10x13 inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse graham crackers until they become coarsely chopped crumbs.
- Remove all but 1/4 cup to a large bowl, and add walnuts.
- Process until nuts are finely ground, but not to a powder or paste (by leaving the crumbs, you prevent the oils from making them into walnut butter).
- Add walnuts to crumbs, and add the rest of the crust ingredients.
- Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until fragrant.
- Set aside. Lower oven to 325.
- Make Filling: In the workbowl of a stand mixer or with a large bowl and electric beaters, beat room-temperature cream cheese until very smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add sugar, scrape after addition.
- Add eggs, and scrape bowl again.
- Add flavoring, and sprinkle on flour, then remove workbowl and scrape the batter down very well, making sure everything is blended.
- Pour over warm crust, and return to oven.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, til center is no longer jiggly. If you have a thermometer, you're aiming for 160 degrees.
- Remove to rack, and let cool 1-2 hours at room temperature before refrigerating.
- Make ganache--scald cream, and pour over chopped chocolate.
- Let sit a minute or two, then stir til smooth.
- Allow to thicken 10-15 minutes at room temperature, then pour evenly over slightly warm cheesecake, tilting pan to coat.
- Return to fridge and let cool at least 4 hours before slicing.
- For cleanest cuts, dip a sharp knife in hot water before and between slices.
- All my recipes available at http://www.mediocrechocolate.blogspot.com.
- (c) copyright 2008 email@example.com
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookearthwatersunwind San Diego, CA
The Rating7 people
I'm a Canadian and a Nanaimo Bar lover and these sound like they are to die for! Great post!michelle73 in Melville loved it
I see recipes for these bars...I've never had one before. Sounds heavenly!!jett2whit in Union City loved it
Excellent recipe!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it