Ham and Mushroom Pie with Cream Cheese CrustFrom dmajor 5 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- 2 pounds mushrooms shopping list
- 6 tablespoons butter shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 cups cubed baked ham(do not use honey type hams here) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1/3 cup dry Madeira or Spanish Sherry(ok here I just use any sherry) shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream shopping list
- cream cheese Pastry shopping list
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temp. shopping list
- 1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, at room temp(use microwave for ease and heat a few seconds) shopping list
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour shopping list
- (I do add a pinch of salt here!) shopping list
How to make it
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems,
- Slice mushrooms, not overly thin
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet(not cast iron)
- Add the mushrooms a few at a time and saute' them over medium high heat until they absorb the butter but are still somewhat crisp(5 to 6 minutes)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish or pie pan.
- Cover them with the ham.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the juices in the skillet.
- Stir in flour and blend until smooth.
- Add the chicken stock gradually and cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened and is smooth(about5 minutes)
- Stir in the Madeira or Sherry and the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper but remember the ham will be salty so you wont need too much.
- Pour sauce over the ham and mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the pastry for a top crust( I just pat my out instead of rolling) large enough to extend 1 inch beyond the edge of the baking dish or pie pan.
- Lay it over the pie.
- Fold the edges of the pastry under and press the pastry to the edge of the pan with prongs of a fork.
- make several slits in the crust for the steam to escape.
- Bake the pie until the pastry is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cream Cheese Pastry Directions:
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer, processor, or by hand until well blended.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Form into a ball.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate until the dough has chilled and will roll easily, at least 30 minutes( I skip this step when in a hurry)
- * mixing the pastry with your fingers makes a flakier crust and bringing the butter and cream cheese to room temp makes it easier to work with.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating9 people
I love savory pie recipes!shecooks4u in Phoenix loved it
Very nice!jett2whit in Union City loved it
This sounds fantastic! I think I'll try this tonight. Saved and printed. Thanks! ; ')justjakesmom in Everett loved it