Southern Livings Best Buttermilk BiscuitsFrom lanacountry 6 years ago
- Southern Living's buttermilk biscuits shopping list
- (as good as ANY I have made) shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- Prep: 20 min., Chill: 10 min., Bake: 15 min. shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold butter shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk shopping list
- Self-rising soft-wheat flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter shopping list
- Just added per SL.com>> shopping list
- Note: For testing, we used White Lily Self-Rising Soft wheat flour. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cut butter with a sharp knife or pastry blender into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Sprinkle butter slices over flour in a large bowl.
- Toss butter with flour.
- Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas.
- Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times, gradually adding additional flour as needed.
- With floured hands, press or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).
- Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour.
- Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections, starting with 1 short end. (Fold dough rectangle as if folding a letter-size piece of paper.) Repeat entire process 2 more times, beginning with pressing into a 3/4-inch-thick dough rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).
- 3. Press or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place, side by side, on a parchment paper-lined or lightly greased jelly-roll pan.
- (Dough rounds should touch.)
- 4. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven; brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.
- Cinnamon-Raisin Biscuits: Omit 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Combine 1/2 cup golden raisins, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1/3 cup chopped pecans with flour in a large bowl. Proceed with recipe as directed. Stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. buttermilk until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
- Belongs to: Southern Living, NOVEMBER 2007
The Cooklanacountry Macon, GA
The Rating8 people
Mmmmmmm, Yummy - this looks amazing!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Oh do these look delicious. Thanks Lana.
Briannabrianna in loved it
yep a good country buscuit thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!