Wisconsin Beer-Cheese SoupFrom lovethedepp 6 years ago
- 1 large carrot peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 rib celery chopped fine shopping list
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 C. diced potato shopping list
- 1 C. beer shopping list
- 3 T. butter shopping list
- 3 T. flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 C. milk shopping list
- Reserved vegetables and their liquid shopping list
- 1 1/2 C. chicken stock or 1 10 1/2 oz. can chicken broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 C. sharp cheedar cheese, grated shopping list
- worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Optional Variation: shopping list
- Add 1 1/2 C. diced cooked ham, or 1/2 pound bacon cooked, drained and chopped. ( I almost always add one of these) shopping list
- If you like it a little more zesty add a little tabasco too! shopping list
How to make it
- Step one:
- In a large saucepan, combine the veggies and the beer.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Cool, then whirl mixture 2 C. at a time in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Step Two:
- In second saucepan, heat the butter and over low heat cook the flour for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Step Three:
- To the mixture, add the pureed vegetables and beer mixture.
- Add meat if desired and heat through.
- Add the shredded cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir the mixture to melt the cheese.
- Season the soup with worcestershire, salt, and pepper.
- I often sprinkle chopped green onions on top just before serving.
- You can easily vary the veggies or the meat. I often also add mushrooms. Diced cooked chicken is also flavorful this way.
- So many options, so little time!!...
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cooklovethedepp Central, WI
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!