Spiced Sweet Potato GratinFrom mountainmama 5 years ago
- 4 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 3 1/4 pounds) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon curry powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, divided shopping list
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar (about 12 ounces) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 20 minutes (do not overcook). Drain well and cool. Peel sweet potatoes; cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Mix curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in small bowl to blend. Completely line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with sweet potato slices, filling in any spaces with cut-up sweet potato slices. Press down lightly.
- Spread 1/2 cup sour cream over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture over sour cream. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat twice with remaining sweet potatoes, sour cream, spice mixture, and cheese. Place pan on rimmed baking sheet; bake until cheese is melted and sweet potatoes are heated through, about 40 minutes.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill. If desired, reheat in 400°F oven until hot, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan sides from gratin; cut into wedges. Serve gratin warm or at room temperature.