Bread Stuffing with Bacon Apples and Caramelized OnionsFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 1 pound bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips shopping list
- 6 medium yellow or Spanish onions, sliced thin (about 7 cups) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine shopping list
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, cut into thin strips shopping list
- 12 cups dried whole wheat bread cubes shopping list
- 1 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
How to make it
- Cook bacon in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes.
- Or, cook in microwave between sheets of paper toweling to absorb excess grease.
- If oven or pan fried, remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook onions until golden in color, making sure to stir occasionally and scrape sides and bottom of pan, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring more often to prevent burning, until onions are deep golden brown, another 5 minutes.
- Add apples and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pan to large bowl.
- Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, parsley, and sage to bowl and mix to combine.
- Add bread cubes.
- Whisk stock and eggs together in small bowl.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes.
- Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Use as a stuffing or spoon into a greased baking dish.
- (If baking in a dish and moister stuffing is desired, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more stock or broth to stuffing before spooning stuffing into dish.)
- Bake at 350°F until the top has formed a crust and the stuffing is heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating11 people
Another fantastic recipe from you this morning. Greatness and it looks fantastic. Great post and another high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Always looking for a new stuffing recipe! This one sounds wonderful!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
Sweet and flavorful! High 5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!