Barley Mountain Soup zuppa dOrzo con SalsicciaFrom shine 7 years ago
- 2 medium onions shopping list
- 2 medium carrots shopping list
- 1/4 tightly packed cup of fresh Italian parsley leaves shopping list
- 2 large cloves garlic shopping list
- 3-4 medium red-skinned potatoes (about 1 pound) Peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup barley shopping list
- 1/2 pound smoked ham hocks or to taste shopping list
- 3 3-inch branches fresh rosemary shopping list
- 1 quart buttermilk shopping list
- about 4 quarts water shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- finely chop the onions, carrots, parsley and garlic. Combine the barley, potatoes and meat in a 6-8 quart pot. Add half the onion mixture to the pot with 2 branches of the rosemary. Add buttermilk if desired. Then add 4 quarts water. Simmer 50 minutes or until the barley is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Saute' the rest of the chopped vegetables to a golden brown.
- Add to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Simmer another 30-40 minutes
- Remove the meat and bones. Break up meat into small pieces and return them to the pot, along with more water if the soup is a dense as stew. It should be a thick but soupy soup. Strip the leaves from the remaining branch of rosemary and mince. Stir into the pot and simmer another 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and taste. Serve hot.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookshine Rainier, WA
The Rating12 people
oh yum ray i love barley soup .thank youminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Wonderful!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Hey Ray: I love barley soup but I rarely have used buttermilk in recipes and never in a soup. This is a real Autumn filler and I'm lovin' it. Comfort plus. Thanks my friend. It's a saver.
Sassas in Farmington loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!