Basic Muffins With VariationsFrom whodunitrdr 6 years ago
How to make it
- Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and any optional ingredients and stir just until moistened. (Adjust amount of milk depending on how moist your add-ins are - add less for moist things like banana, crushed pineapple, or pumpkin and add a bit more if needed for dried fruits.)
- Scoop into greased muffins tins (an ice cream scoop works well for this).
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar if desired, and bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- You can mix up a large batch of the basic dry mix (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) and store in a sealed container in your pantry.
- To have fresh muffins in the morning, stir the mix and measure out 3 cups of mix for one dozen muffins, 6 cups for two dozen muffins, add the wet ingredients and the optional ingredients and bake.
- Or, for a large group, make a large batch of the basic mix and make one dozen each of a variety of flavors with a lot less work.
- Banana Nut - add 1c. mashed bananas and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts.
- Blueberry - add 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Pina Colada - add 1 small can drained crushed pineapple and 1/2 c. coconut.
- Apple Spice - add 1 peeled chopped apple, 1/4 teas. cinnamon and a dash nutmeg.
- Coffee Walnut - add 1 teas. coffee extract and 3/4 c. chopped walnuts.
- Pumpkin Spice - add 1 c. canned pumpkin, 1/2 teas. pumpkin pie spices, 1/2 c. nuts.
- Mincemeat - add 1 c. canned mincemeat and 1/2 c. chopped nuts.
- Date Nut - add 1 c. chopped dates and 1/2 c. nuts.
- Cranberry - add 1 c. chopped fresh cranberries, 1/2 c. nuts, 1 teas. orange rind.
- Chocolate chip - add 1 c. chocolate chips and 1/2 teas. vanilla extract, nuts if desired.
- Cherry Almond - add 1 c. chopped dried cherries and 1/2 c. toasted flaked almonds.
- Chocolate Chocolate chip - add 1/4 c. cocoa powder, 1/2 teas. vanilla and 1/2 c. (or more) chocolate chips (thanks LB).
- Anything else you can think up. Adjust amount of milk in batter depending on the moistness of the added ingredients.
People Who Like This Dish 63
The Cookwhodunitrdr Bellingham, WA
The Rating17 people
Yummo! These will be delish. High 5. Lucycardinal54 in Cuthbert loved it
Made blueberry streusel this morning. Yum! This recipe is very timely for me as I need to make 300 muffins for my MIL birthday brunch. THX :)dandelion in Ashland loved it
Finally made these wonderful muffins today. Made a batch of chocolate chip and they were devoured by the teen boys. I also made a batch of blueberry...yummy!! I used half whole wheat flour, liquid eggs, and brown sugar. The possibilities (and fun) ...morelobster in NV loved it