Chocolate Pepper CookiesFrom markeverett 8 years ago
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- ¾ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground pepper, plus more for sprinkling shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon good-quality instant espresso powder shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract shopping list
- Coarse sanding sugar, for rolling shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, pepper, espresso powder, and cinnamon into a large bowl; set aside
- 2. Put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined
- 3. Turn out dough onto a piece of parchment paper and roll into a 2-inch-diameter log. Roll log in the parchment. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove log from parchment paper. Let soften slightly at room temperature, about 5 minutes. Roll log in sanding sugar, gently pressing down to adhere sugar to dough. Transfer log to cutting board, and slice into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (this is SUCH a time saver!!!), spacing 1 inch apart. Sprinkle each round with freshly ground pepper.
- 5. Bake cookies until there is slight resistance when you lightly touch centers, about 11 minutes. Transfer cookies (on parchment) to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in air-tight containers about 2-3 days.
- Makes about 4 dozen.
People Who Like This Dish 8
- conner909 Whereabouts, Unknown
- lanacountry Macon, GA
- marky90 Dearborn, MI
- mystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
- blueeyes68ky Owenton, KY
- desertdance La Quinta, CA
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- linspj New Hartford, NY
- peetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- mjcmcook Beach City, CA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmarkeverett Riverside, CA
The Rating11 people
Wonderful cookies..^5mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Fantastic!marky90 in Dearborn loved it
These look really good - Martha has some really unique cookie recipes. I tried her ginger brownies and those were delicious; I'm sure these are as well. I love black pepper anyway. I'll add to my 'try' list. Thanks for sharing! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!