Spinach ChaussonFrom luisascatering 7 years ago
- For Pastry: shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1-1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- For Filling: shopping list
- 4 fresh artichoke hearts, with stems (you can substitute frozen) shopping list
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach, stemmed shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 medium large leek (tender white part only) thinly sliced and cleaned shopping list
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced (any kind you like) shopping list
- 3 ounces natural cream cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1 small garlic clove, minced shopping list
- zest of one small lemon shopping list
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper shopping list
- freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 3 tablespoon freshly grated parmigiano-reggianno cheese shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
How to make it
- For Pastry:
- Combine flour and butter in large bowl and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal. Make well in center. Add egg, ice water, herbs and salt to well and blend with fork, then mix with flour to form dough. Shape dough into ball. Turn out onto lightly floured work surface and flatten into disc. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- For filling:
- Steam artichokes until tender when pierced with knife about 15 minutes. Chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Rinse spinach and shake lightly to remove excess water. Heat heavy large saucepan over medium high heat. Gradually add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Let cool. Squeeze spinach dry: chop coarsely. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same saucepan over low heat. Add leek. Cover and cook until almost tender, about 15 minutes stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid had evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add reserved artichoke hearts and stems, spinach, cream cheese, whipping cream, and garlic and cook, stirring until cheese is melted and cream is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Blend in lemon zest, lemon juice, chives and tarragon. Season with kosher salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cool completely about 30 minutes. Stir in parmigiano-reggianno.
- Grease large baking sheet. Roll pastry out on lightly floured surface into 5 inch circle about 1/16 inch tick. Roll up on rolling pin and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spoon filling onto half of circle, leaving 1/2 inch border (you are basically making a huge turnover). Brush border with beaten egg. Fold unfilled half of pastry over top, covering filling completely. Trim edge with fluted pastry wheel if desired. Reserving trimmings for decorating top. Press edges together to seal and fold or crimp with fork tines. Brush top with beaten egg. Decorate with dough trimmings. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush turnover generously with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool at least 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating7 people
Oh, I can just imagine the creamy goodness coming out when you cut this! Delicious!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Love the fresh vegetables and fresh herbs and I am glad you found that great cook book.
High Fivetrigger in loved it
yum yum.choclytcandy in loved it