Gourmet White Cheddar Macaroni and CheeseFrom irishmama 7 years ago
- 3/4 box elbow macaroni noodles shopping list
- 2 T butter shopping list
- 2 T flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh cut chives shopping list
- chili powder (dash) shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- either dried mustard or a little Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese (use the best stuff you can find, like Tillamook, to make this really decadent) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 and butter a 9x9 glass dish.
- Boil the elbow pasta and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. When it is just hot (NOT BROWN!) add the chives and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour/chili powder/mustard/salt/pepper and mix well, getting out all the lumps and stir for 3 minutes. (Just a dash of all of those seasonings.)
- SLOWLY add the first 1/2 cup milk, mixing like crazy until it's smooth and NO lumps. When it's a nice glossy uniform sauce, add another 1/2 cup milk, repeat. Add the rest of the milk and mix well so it's not lumpy.
- Stir constantly for 10 minutes or so, until the mixture is smooth and reduced. Remove from heat, add most of the cheese, mix well.
- Add the sour cream, mix well.
- Pour into dish, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Cook for 30 minutes until it's brown and bubbling and looks like the yummiest thing you've ever laid eyes on. Let it sit 5 minutes before serving...if you can stand it!
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
People Who Like This Dish 53
The Cookirishmama Chesterfield, MI
The Rating6 people
Thank you for the wonderful recipe!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
You know how your mama loves mac and cheese, so I will try this one, too. How come you've never made it for me when I visit?!?!?!?!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!