Gourmet White Cheddar Macaroni and CheeseFrom irishmama 6 years ago
- 3/4 box elbow macaroni noodles shopping list
- 2 T butter shopping list
- 2 T flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh cut chives shopping list
- chili powder (dash) shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- either dried mustard or a little Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese (use the best stuff you can find, like Tillamook, to make this really decadent) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 and butter a 9x9 glass dish.
- Boil the elbow pasta and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. When it is just hot (NOT BROWN!) add the chives and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour/chili powder/mustard/salt/pepper and mix well, getting out all the lumps and stir for 3 minutes. (Just a dash of all of those seasonings.)
- SLOWLY add the first 1/2 cup milk, mixing like crazy until it's smooth and NO lumps. When it's a nice glossy uniform sauce, add another 1/2 cup milk, repeat. Add the rest of the milk and mix well so it's not lumpy.
- Stir constantly for 10 minutes or so, until the mixture is smooth and reduced. Remove from heat, add most of the cheese, mix well.
- Add the sour cream, mix well.
- Pour into dish, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Cook for 30 minutes until it's brown and bubbling and looks like the yummiest thing you've ever laid eyes on. Let it sit 5 minutes before serving...if you can stand it!
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
People Who Like This Dish 53
The Cookirishmama Chesterfield, MI
The Rating6 people
You know how your mama loves mac and cheese, so I will try this one, too. How come you've never made it for me when I visit?!?!?!?!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
Thank you for the wonderful recipe!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!