Creamy Stove Top Mac And CheeseFrom keni 6 years ago
- 1lb elbow macaroni or similar pasta(shells and rotini work well) shopping list
- 1 small or 1/2 large onion, very finely diced shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 3 1/2-4 cups milk(+/-) shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 1 1/2t dry mustard shopping list
- 4-6oz cream cheese, softened, or even warmed in microwave(you want NO chill on this at all) shopping list
- 4-5 cups of various cheeses, shredded*(there is no right or wrong, here, it's all to taste...personally, I like to use a majority sharp cheddar cus I like the sharpness it brings to the finished dish, but other than that, be creative!) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- dash of hot sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Boil pasta per package directions.
- Saute onion in butter in medium/large sauce pan until tender.
- Add flour to make a thin roux. This won't get bubbly and as thick as normal roux, just cook about 5 minutes to thicken a bit
- Add cream cheese and break up and stir in until melted, or mostly melted.(a few lil cream cheese lumps are okay...just keep 'em very small)
- Add milk, salt and pepper, mustard and hot sauce and stir to combine and warm through, but don't boil.
- Add shredded cheeses and continue to cook on medium/low heat until melted and creamy.
- Combine with drained pasta. **Serve hot, or, you can undercook the pasta SLIGHTLY and increase the milk by 1/2 cup and put this in your slow cooker for pot lucks, family gatherings, etc.
- ~~the cheeses I used in the photo representation were: Sharp Cheddar, Colby, Pepper Jack and just a bit of Meunster.
People Who Like This Dish 45
The Cookkeni Sweet Home, AL
The Rating8 people
I like sharp cheese also especially in a recipe like your Creamy Stove Top Mac And Cheese.
Five forkstrigger in loved it
Sounds good Keni~ Love mac n cheese..who don't?!lafluers in Lincoln loved it
Sounds so very good to me too! I love sharp cheddar and usually use hot sauce in my own recipe. But gonna try this one real soon! ^5lori4flavor in Chicago loved it