Homeade flour tortillasFrom latinfoodie 7 years ago
- 4 cups of all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup of lard(yes thats right, you can use shortening, but please dont knock it till u try it) shopping list
- about 2 tsp of salt, or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder shopping list
- 1 3/4 cup of warm water(I use just a little hotter than warm, but not HOT) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder, and cut in lard with forks or u can use a pastry blender, once well incorporated, add the water. Mix all ingredients together with hands, it will be sticky. Add a litttle more flour if too sticky. Knead on lightly floured surface for just a couple minutes to bring together. Portion it into 14-16 balls. Set back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 mins,(A lot of ppl dont do this, but i think this really helps the outcome of the tortillas, you will notice the difference in the dough after letting it rest, its really smooth)
- Heat a griddle hot
- Once the dough has rested, lightly flour your surface and take one of the balls, and begin to roll out into a circle, rotating and flipping, do not add too much flour during this process. And remember, it takes lots of practice to get perfect circles. Once the tortillas are about 1/8 inch thick, not too thick, put on hot griddle, it will bubble up a lot (This is a good sign, i dont know why, but thats what a good tortilla is about) if it bubbles real big just puncture with a fork, flip after the first side is kinda browned, about 20-25 secs, then cook other side for the same time, dont burn. Keep warm in towel. repeat with others, and serve with dinner, or put some butter on the hot tortilla roll up and enjoy!
People Who Like This Dish 97
The Cooklatinfoodie Somewhere, Dreamland
The Rating21 people
They sound wonderful and added to FFF group..
55555! :)lanacountry in Macon loved it
awesome 5!peacekeeper0 in Kent loved it
Letting the dough relax will give you the best results when making anything out of dough.
I love your Homemade Flour Tortillas.
Bookmarkedtrigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!