French Onion Soup GratineeFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 4 oz butter shopping list
- 5 lb onion sliced thin shopping list
- 6.5 qt beef stock, or half beef and half chicken stock shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 5 fl oz Sherry 4-6 fl oz, optional shopping list
- as needed, each: shopping list
- French bread (see directions) shopping list
- 1.5 lb Gruyère or swiss cheese, or a mixture, coarsely grated shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter in a stockpot over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are golden.
- Stir occasionally.
- The onions must cook slowly and become evenly browned.
- This is a slow process and will take about 30 minutes.
- Do not brown too fast or use high heat.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the onions are very tender and the flavors are well blended, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt an pepper.
- Add the sherry, if desired.
- Cut the bread into slices about .38 in thick.
- You will need 1 or 2 slices per portion, or just enough to cover the top of the soup in its serving crock.
- Toast the slices in the oven or under the broiler.
- For each portion fill an individual service soup crock with hot soup.
- Place 1 or 2 slices of the toast on top and cover with cheese.
- Pass under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
- Onion soup may be served without gratinéeing and with cheese croutons prepared separately.
- Toast the bread as in basic recipe.
- Place on a sheet pan.
- Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle each piece with grated cheese.
- (Parmesan may be mixed with the other cheese).
- Brown under the broiler.
- Garnish each portion with 1 cheese crouton.
- (This method is less expensive because it uses much less cheese.)
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating52 people
Chefelaine...You have submitted a smorgasboard of delicious soups for Stewie to try out...Thanks you so much..Soup...Mmmmmmmmmstewie in Winnipeg loved it
another favorite soup... just add plenty of cheese..!!!a five for you..peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
There goes my diet.... yum and another 5 for you!whuebl in Annapolis loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!