Sweet Potato Chipotle and Apple SoupFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 2 gala apples—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise shopping list
- 1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I prefer jewel yams, the darker they are, the sweeter they are) shopping list
- 4 cups vegetable stock (recipe below) shopping list
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper shopping list
- 2 flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips, fried in a little oil and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar shopping list
- cilantro sprigs for garnish(optional) shopping list
- Homemade vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 leek. sliced and rinsed clean shopping list
- 3 medium sweet onions, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 2 roma tomatoes, rinsed and quartered shopping list
- 1 head fennel (about 1 lb.), rinsed, and chopped shopping list
- Handful fresh parsley shopping list
- Handful fresh thyme shopping list
- Handful fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- For the stock:
- Place leek in an 8- to 10-quart pan. Add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, fennel, parsley, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, salt and enough water to cover vegetables (about 2 qt.). Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep vegetables barely covered.
- Line a colander with a layer of cheesecloth (or use a large, fine wire strainer); set over a large bowl. Pour stock mixture into colander and drain vegetables well; discard vegetables. Reserve stock for use.
- For Sweet Potato, Chipotle and Apple Soup:
- In a medium soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook over low heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the apples and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the fruit and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the chipotle.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper and return to the pot.
- Serve the soup in shallow bowls (or a coffee cup as I did in the photo) and garnish with the fried tortilla strips and cilantro, if desired.
The Cookluisascatering San Carlos, CA
The Rating10 people
This sounds incredible. Great post.chefmeow in Garland loved it
I love your stock preparation five for that alone.
Jewel yams would be my choice too.
This is wonderful and refreshing.
Five forkstrigger in loved it
I don't know where to start Luisa! Should I praise the delicious Sweet Potato soup or the incredible vegetable stock (which I could have it like a soup only - OMG! it has so many delicious ingredients!)
This is another incredible recipe!elgab89 in Toronto loved it