Russian Eggplant CaviarFrom juels 6 years ago
- 2 med-lg. eggplants shopping list
- 3 sweet banana peppers, OR any other sweet or mildly spicy peppers, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 4 tomatoes, chopped and bottoms removed shopping list
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped shopping list
- a hadnful of fresh parsely leaves, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of sugar shopping list
- olive OR vegetable oil for brushing eggplants and sauteeing shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 tbsp. mayo (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut eggplant lengthwise, prick skins with fork, brush with olive oil and place cut sides down on a baking sheet. Bake in 375F oven for 25 min, or until soft. Cool eggplants slightly and remove skins.
- Meanwhile, cook chopped onion in a skillet with about 2 tbsp. oil on med. heat until lightly golden.
- Add chopped peppers to the onions and cook 5 more minutes.
- Puree the chopped tomatoes in a food processor and add to the onion and pepper mixture. Cook and stir another 5 min.
- Mash the eggplants with the fork or grind in the food processor. Add the mashed eggplants to the skillet and simmer another 7 min.
- Press the garlic through the garlic press . Stir in to the skillet. Add chopped basil and chopped parsely leaves. Add 1/2 tsp. sugar, salt and pepper to taste and cook 5 more min.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the mayo. This dip is equally good warm or cold. I sometimes just serve it as an entree over rice. The amount of servings would in that case go down to 5.
The Cookjuels Clayton, NC
The Rating12 people
FIVE :+D Thankschefelaine in Muskoka loved it
I'll definately be trying this recipe. Thanks so much. '5'brianna in loved it
This is simple and lovely. Simply lovely!misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
Party Food316 members
Russian Speakers22 members
Russian American Food Lovers36 members
Appetizers And Dips268 members
Companys Coming115 members
Perfect For Parties And Potlucks79 members
Its Party Time97 members
NFL GAME DAY FOODS54 members
A Taste Of Eggplant64 members