Elaines Phyllo Pumpkin PocketsFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
How to make it
- The Phyllo Pastry:
- Allow 4 sheets per pocket…
- Melt 1/2 lb creamery butter
- You may leave all the Phyllo sheets together on the working surface and work on each one easily, following directions below:
- *Lightly brush Phyllo, one sheet at a time, buttering LEFT AND RIGHT sides.
- Generously coat without applying enough pressure to split the dough sheets.
- **Fold the buttered sides together.
- ***Now butter the RIGHT SIDE of the sheet below the first fold.
- ****Fold this over the left side where the first sheet has been folded
- *****Now butter the sheet on the RIGHT side below the second fold, and fold this over the left side…
- ******Butter the RIGHT side of the next sheet below, and fold it over the left.
- *******This now gives you four sheets, with 8 layers.
- Now take these eight layers, and butter the top.
- About ¼ of the way in, place roughly ½ cup pumpkin mixture onto the sheet, leaving a good 1 to 1 ½ inches clear on the sides.
- Roll partway, stop, add more butter to the top rolled portion.
- Now add another dollop of pumpkin mixture, and continue rolling until the pocket is contained, and the the package is neat.
- Fold the edges of the pocket inwards, as illustrated... this helps prevent the filling from escaping during baking.
- As the pockets bake, they will naturally straighten to resemble a Christmas cracker.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet
- Brush tops with butter.
- Bake at moderately low oven for 60 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- The Butter Cream:
- In mixing bowl, add a pint of whipping cream, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 ½ tbsp Stevia
- Whip this until it just starts to turn into butter.
- Place in freezer until time to use, and serve as a sweet-butter sauce slightly over and alongside the pockets.