Strufoli- Italian Honey BallsFrom greekgirrrl 5 years ago
- 2 1/2 c flour shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1/4 c shortening shopping list
- 1/2T sugar shopping list
- 1T baking powder shopping list
- dash salt shopping list
- 1/2 t. lemon zest shopping list
- 2 C vegetable oil for frying shopping list
- 1 1/2 C honey shopping list
- 1t orange zest shopping list
- colored non-pareils shopping list
How to make it
- Place flour on board, making a well in the center.
- Place eggs, egg yolk, shortening, sugar, salt and lemon peel into the well.
- Mix well, working the dough with your hands.
- Shape into very small balls, the size of marbles.
- Let the dough balls rest about 15-20 minutes, covered with damp paper towels, while you heat the oil in a deep stock pot.
- Drop the balls, a few at a time into the hot oil (350 degrees) until golden brown.
- They'll float, just turn them around a bit for even browning.
- Melt honey in a saucepan and add orange zest.
- As soon as the balls are fried, take them from the oil directly to the honey pot.
- Let them float around in there for about 30 seconds.
- Lift them out of the honey with a slotted spoon, placing them on a serving platter, piling them into a conical shape.
- Sprinkle with non-pareils while the honey is still warm.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating17 people
Yummy Italian!! Thanks and 55555 FFF group!! :)lanacountry in Macon loved it
Thanks so much for this recipe! I want to make the large "trees" of these for the holiday this year. Your recipe will become a new tradition for our holiday dessert table this year! Thank you!!!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
Oh - this is the one you were talking about....Mama mia!! Mmmmm goodjett2whit in Union City loved it
Checkin Central283 members
TRAILER PARK BRAWLERS49 members
Heat In The Kitchen314 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Grouprecipes Rocks149 members
Party Ideas And Poetry16 members
Checkins Round Table39 members
Chicken Little166 members
Just A Chat21 members
FABULOUS FRUGAL FOODIES246 members