Threadgills Chicken Fried SteakFrom linebb956 7 years ago
- FIRST STAGE: Mix the following and store in a jar where it is cool. shopping list
- 1/2 cup kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup black pepper , fresh grind shopping list
- 2 tablespoons white pepper, fresh grind shopping list
- 1 1/2 teasopoons cayenne shopping list
- 2 table spoon dry onion flakes shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic shopping list
- 2 tablespoons paprika shopping list
- SECOUND STAGE: shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1 quart whole milk at room temperature shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- canola oil to fry, at least 2 cups in a flat pan. shopping list
- 8 6 ounce beef chuck cutlets, flattened and tenderized with a mallet shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce shopping list
- salt shopping list
- black pepper. shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk eggs and 2 cups mild in a bowl, reserve.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the seasoning and 2 cups flour in a bowl, reserve.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet to 350
- Dredge each beef cutlet in flour
- dip in egg wash, let extra drip off
- Dredge in flour again, shake off extra flour
- Use LONG tongs to lower into oil
- Cook until golden brown avout 3-4 minutes, flip cook another 3 minutes remove with a spider, place on paper towel to drain
- Cook all, keep warm
- Drain all but 3 tablespoons oil from skillet.
- Heat the oil over medium stir in the 1/4 cup flour, keep stirring... make a WHITE roux.
- Gradually add the remaining 2 cups milk, slowly . Stir until it is as thick as you like.
- Remove from heat season with Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Place a cutlet on each plate, drench with gravy. Serve with potatoes and veggie ..
- Now when they make it there.... they deep fry it.. I do the same at home. They also make the gravy 16, gallons at time and add roasted bone marrow to that... I have used the packaged white gravy that I get from a restaurant supply company or Sam’s as it speeds things up, Just season it up like listed above. But, this is how they listed it and I wanted to share...
- YOU CAN MAKE THESE, FREEZE ON A WAXED PAPER LINED COOKIE SHEET. WHEN FROZEN PUT IN ZIP BAG. DO NOT THAW TO FRY. ADD 2-4 MINUTES IN A DEEP FRYER.
- So take off your boots, grab a Lone Star beer and ENJOY LIFE! And if your down Texas way.... stop in and try the REAL thing!
The Cooklinebb956 La Feria, TX
The Rating4 people
Haven't spoken with you in awhile. How's everything? Thanks for this marvelous recipe. I've never been to Texas, but if I ever get there, I'll have to find Threadgills! I made this Sunday evening and aside from letting the oil get ...moreknwalter in Paulsboro loved it
Love, love, love chicken fried steak!!! This sounds so awesome...makes me wish I was in Texas!!! Great recipe, thanks!!!
P.S. Lone Star beer....used to love it in the day, but we can't get it here now :( :(
Enjoy one for me, will ya!!! :)sharyl4 in Mohave Valley loved it
There ain't nuthin' better than a Texas Chicken Fried Steak. Mashed Potatoes and green beans and yeah, plenty of peppery gravy. This is as good as it gets. A hint on the battering. It is a two-hand process. Use one hand for dry flour and the other fo...morechefjeb in Carthage loved it