Barefoot Contessa Sausage StuffingFrom marky90 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 Lb Round Loaf White or sourdough bread, from the bakery. shopping list
- 1 Stick unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 Stick butter melted (for heating bread) shopping list
- Dash of sage shopping list
- 2 Cups diced yellow onion shopping list
- Melted butter shopping list
- 2 Stalks celery, diced. shopping list
- 2 granny smith apples, unpeeled-but cored and diced shopping list
- 2 Tbs parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 Tbs kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 3/4 lb Sweet or Spicy italian sausage, ground. (no casings) shopping list
- 1 Cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 Cup dried cranberries shopping list
- Optional 1/2 Cup pecans, choppped ( I like these or Walunts!) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Cube the bread into inch pieces, including crusts.
- Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Melt 1/4 stick in microwave for a few seconds, add splash of sage. This is my addition to her great recipe.
- Pour the melted butter over the bread and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove bread and place in VERY large bowl.
- Meanwhile in a large pan, melt the butter, then add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute' over medium heat for 10 minutes until cooked. Add to the bread cubes.
- In the same pan, cook the Sausage until brown and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking.
- Drain and add sausage to stuffing mixture.
- Add the chicken stock,cranberries and (optional nuts) to the mixture, mix well with hands and pour into a lightly sprayed 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until brown and hot in the middle.
The Cookmarky90 Dearborn, MI
The Rating10 people
Ok, I want to give you a 5 just because you have the best pic on this site, but I'm going to actually try your recipe first...before I rate it.
Oh, What the hell :) Thanks for sharing. Cheers!rml in loved it
Marky! You are like psychic! I was just thinking last night about adding cranberries to my usual stuffing (bread, cornbread, sausage, apple, spices, etc.) and here it is! Don't need to wing it because you've read my mind. Thanks, hon.crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
Splendiferous!!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it