Pennsylvania Birch BeerFrom lacrenshaw 8 years ago
How to make it
- Measure 4 quarts of finely cut twigs of sweet birch into the bottom of a 5-gallon crock.
- In a large kettle, boil together the honey and birch sap for 10 minutes.
- Pour over chopped twigs.
- When cool, strain to remove the twigs.
- Return to the crock.
- Spread cake of soft yeast on the slice of toasted rye bread.
- Float on top of the beer in the crock.
- Cover with a cloth.
- Let ferment until the cloudiness just starts to settle, about a week but it depends somewhat on temperature.
- Bottle the beer and cap tightly.
- Store in a dark place and serve it cold after the weather gets hot.
- It should stand in the bottles about 3 months before using.
- If opened too soon, it will foam all over and pop worse than champagne.
- **This is not a drink for children (I always had it!).
- **Sweet Birch, also called Black Birch... Sweet birch or Cherry birch has a fragrant bark and twigs that smell of wintergreen. The sap flows about a month later than maple and much faster than maple. You tap the trees the same as maple but must gather about 3 times as often.
- **The sap also can be boiled the same as maple but the syrup is much stronger, more like molasses.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating4 people
Lorraine, my family and I head out to Lancaster county quite a bit. In the summer, at one of the many Amish/Mennonite roadside stands, there waiting for us is a bottle of homemade birch beer, in a ray of sunlight as if ordained by the heavens that w...moremadmommy in Wayne loved it
Lorraine, it's a great recipe keep it and remember our bygone youth, then go to www.midwestsupplies.com and search birch beer and order the extract from there.That way there is no finding sweet birch twigs, and messing with sap. The extract makes a r...morebobbyc0117 in Canfield loved it
Sounds like it would come out really good! all I have to do now, is locate the ingredients! Where do you get birch sap and sweet birch twigs?juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!