Grilled Skirt Steak Sandwich With California Avocado And Blue CheeseFrom wolfpackjack 5 years ago
- 2 (8 to 10 oz.) skirt steaks shopping list
- 1 medium, sweet yellow onion cut in 1/4-inch slices shopping list
- 2 small tomatoes cut in 1/4-inch slices shopping list
- 2 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 4 (6-inch) pieces of baguette sliced in half lengthwise and lightly toasted shopping list
- 1/2 ripe Fresh California avocado thinly sliced, for garnish shopping list
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs for garnish shopping list
- cracked black pepper shopping list
- --- California avocado Blue cheese spread shopping list
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese (or similar blue cheese) at room temp. shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- 4 dashes hot sauce (I like Frank's Xtra Hot) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- -- California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread:
- In a large bowl, combine avocados with blue cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, and pepper. Mash with a fork until mixture is thoroughly combined. Taste and season lightly with salt (Note: careful here, blue cheese can be salty)
- -- Grilled Steak:
- About 30 minutes before cooking, remove skirt steaks from refrigerator. Trim any outer pieces of fat or silver skin, but marbling within beef should remain.
- Preheat grill or sauté pan to very hot. Pat skirt steaks dry. Brush steaks and onion and tomato slices with canola oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill or sauté steaks, 2 minutes per side for rare. Allow steak to rest several minutes on a cutting board.
- Meanwhile, on the grill or in the same sauté pan, char the onion slices until just tender, separating into rings. Grill or sauté the tomato slices briefly, until lightly charred and warmed through.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar and thyme. Add grilled onion and tomato slices to vinaigrette mixture and toss gently.
- Spread toasted top halves of baguettes with California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread. Place on the upper level of the grill with the top closed, or under a broiler, until warmed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Arrange the charred onion and tomato slices on the bottom halves of the baguettes. Slice the steak thinly, at an angle across the grain, and place over the vegetables. Drizzle steak with any leftover balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve sandwiches open-faced, side-by-side on a plate, with thin slices of avocado, thyme sprigs and cracked black pepper for garnish.
- Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
The Cookwolfpackjack Raleigh, NC
The Rating15 people
This sounds phenominal. Great post my friend, you have my 5. Yummers.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Wow!!!!!!!!!! fantastic i love it all bring it to me yummm lol
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
"5"FORK!!!!! for a 'Scrumptious Steak' recipe!
The 'Avocado/Blue Cheese' Spread is
the Perfect accompaniment!
~*~mj~*~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!