Saucy Italian Pork ChopsFrom thamesarino 8 years ago
- 4-8 pork chops(depending on thickness) shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 28 oz can of tomato puree(can use sauce if you prefer) shopping list
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic shopping list
- italian seasoning shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- Chachere's cajun seasoning shopping list
How to make it
- Lay out chops, season chops with salt, pepper, italian seasoning, cajun seasoning to taste. Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom pan. Brown seasoned side down, for 5-8 minutes, until they get a nice color. Season second side, and flip over to brown the other side. When the second side is browned, remove to plate with a lip(to catch juices)and set aside.
- Depending on the number of chops you might have to brown in batches.
- Saute chopped onions 5 minutes, or until it starts to soften. Add garlic and season(salt, pepper, & italian seasoning). Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add applesauce, heat through and scrape all bits off the bottom. Add tomato puree. Taste for seasoning.
- Add the pork back to the sauce pan.
- Simmer for atleast 45 minutes. The timing will depend on how thick your chops are, and how tender you like your meat. In our house, it simmers for about 2 hours, using 8- 1/2 inch chops.
- Serve with noodles or rice. The sauce rocks! We save the leftover sauce and use it for chicken, or just to flavor noodles or rice. It does freeze well, too!
- Enjoy!! : )
The Cookthamesarino Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating4 people
MMmmm so good! Used what I had on hand, some tomato sauce and tomato paste, added some shakey Parmesan cheese and red wine, slow cooked in my cast iron dutch oven. Served over WW egg noodles.lobster in NV loved it
Tasty, savory. One inch chops done in 1 3/4 hours.
See Saucy Italian Pork Chops for more reviews.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!