Minnesota Black-eyed PeasFrom cabincrazyone 4 years ago
- 2 cans (15.8 oz.) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, use it all including the juice shopping list
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chili peppers, use it all including the juice shopping list
- 4 slices bacon, cut across into quarter inch pieces shopping list
- 1 pound ground pork, unseasoned shopping list
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped (1 Cup) shopping list
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped (3/4 Cup) shopping list
- 1 Cup water shopping list
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1 tsp. garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. chili powder shopping list
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pan, fry the bacon bits, add the pork sausage when the bacon is about three quarters done. Do the usual spatula chopping and turning until the sausage is cooked through and in small crumbles.
- While the meat is cooking, empty the canned peas and tomatoes into a pot or small dutch oven, at least a four quart size.
- When the meat is done, remove it to the pot of peas and tomatoes. Fry the onions and celery in the pan with the meat drippings. Cook until the celery is soft.
- While the onions and celery are frying, add to the pot of other stuff the garlic & chili powder, sugar and s&p. Pour in the water, but watch the level. You want to just see water in the lowest areas, don't cover everything. Turn on low heat.
- When the onions and celery are done remove them from the pan into the pot full of everything else. Increase heat, cover and simmer, just slowly bubbling, for one hour. Stir once in a while.
- Toss in the cup of cheese and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle a bit of Mozzarella on top of each serving. Great with corn bread. Also great on a bed of rice.
- My wife and I had it on spaghetti last night for dinner. Very good!
People Who Like This Dish 17
- smartino Nowhere, Us
- superfox12082 Somewhere, Minnesota
- aidansmommy Nowhere, Us
- mommyluvs2cook Santa Fe, TX
- mrpiggy Mendocino County, CA
- kalidew Whereabouts, Unknown
- gonenuts72 EC County, Wisconsin
- BigTony Nowhere, Us
- reviews Anycity, Anystate
- sayboya Adelaide, AU
- Plus 7 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookcabincrazyone Duluth, MN
The Rating10 people
This is almost like a hearty bean stew! The combo of ingredients and spices is wonderful here, and I love the picture!juels in Clayton loved it
This is an amazing complete meal and it sounds delicious!joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Very good.sayboya in Adelaide loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!