Best Beef StewFrom huxter 6 years ago
- 1.5 kgs good stewing beef ,largecubes ,--chuck or blade shopping list
- 1 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika shopping list
- 1 tps white pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp plain flour shopping list
- 425 gm can crushed tomatoes ,or similar chopped fresh tomatoes shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic crushed shopping list
- 1 stick celery ,finely chopped shopping list
- 3 carrots .chopped shopping list
- 4 onions ,chopped shopping list
- 1 large potato ,finely chopped --will help in the thickening shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat your oven to 180C
- Use a plastic zip lock bag and toss your cubed meat with the flour ,white pepper and paprika till well dusted .
- Place the floured meat in a heavy covered casserole dish --I use cast iron but thats up to you .
- Now add the tomato ,wine and all the vegetables ,stirring well to mix.
- If the mix doesn't come to the top of your chosen dish ,I then cover with a greased kitchen paper or baking sheet .
- Cook undisturbed for 1 and a half hours ,then test for seasonings and tenderness .I sometimes need to cook a bit longer if the meat needs it .
- I serve this on mashed potato or with Irish Colcanon --its delicious served with a creamy garlicky polenta too.
- I sometimes add fresh herbs to the cooking ,thyme especially .But I find the rich beef flavour needs little addition whenusing prime organic beef like we raise here .
- A good Napa Valley red would seem to be the final ingredient to your meal --remember the glass you used in the cooking ?--drink the rest and enjoy !!
The Cookhuxter Mundoona, Australia
The Rating9 people
Sounds delish! Great post and high 5 to you!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
Wow sounds great. I'd love to come over and feast on your fresh farm fixings. High 5 and I will make this one soon.
MJflavors in Algonquin loved it
This sounds wonderful.
Five forks and a big smile :)trigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!